Giving Blood – Full Circle!
Why give blood
Giving blood saves lives. The blood you give is a lifeline in an emergency and for people who need long-term treatments.
The NHS needs new blood donors from all backgrounds to ensure there is the right blood available for patients who need it.
Yesterday I was giving blood at a local clinic – playing a small part in the huge challenge that NHS BT has to face every day:
- Nearly 400 new donors a day to meet demand
- Around 135,000 new donors a year to replace those who can no longer donate
- 40,000 more black donors to meet growing demand for better-matched blood
- 30,000 new donors with priority blood types such as O negative every year
- More young people to start giving blood so we can make sure we have enough blood in the future
It was really good to see the number of donors taking their slots in a very well organised system – coping effectively with the Covid-19 guidelines whilst still looking after the donors well – juice and kit kats all round … Even more rewarding to see that Polar Thermal Blood Transport bags are keeping eveyone’s donations safe!
You can help too – register to give blood here: https://my.blood.co.uk/preregister